Welcome to BWSI Design of Assistive Technologies! This course will introduce you to some of the techniques and tools to design a product that will help improve the daily life of a person with a disability. The class is split into the following modules and learning objectives:
Module 1: What is Assistive Technology?
Module 2: Design Processes
- What is assistive technology, and how does it relate to people with disabilities?
- How does this course approach the design of assistive technologies?
Module 3: Technical Skills Development
- How do we know what the person we are designing for needs?
- How do we turn those needs into a concept for a product?
Module 4: Open-Ended Design Project
- What skills might we need to design a physical assistive technology product?
- What is 3D printing?
- How is computer-aided design used to help us make 3D parts?
- How do we tie everything together into a design project?
- Note that this module involves a significant project that will be extremely difficult to accomplish last-minute. Please take this into consideration for the deadlines.